Sunday, April 6, 2008

Dragonflies


We love dragonflies in this house. They are so expressive and illusive at the same time with their fluttering frantic movements and risque flying atop the water. Their bulging eyes are endearing and so delicate - they seem near-sighted, almost disabled in the most human sense. So when I looked at heaps of yarn and little bits and pieces of all kinds and colors of strings inherited from t. Ira, it seemed to make sense to try to make these adorably fast and essentially summer, colorful little creatures. I hand-weaved their bodies with a belt weave my grandmother taught me when I was five, crocheted wings and added beads for eyes. Eventually it seemed to make sense to try for other wiggly little garden inhabitants. The strings they hang on are also hand-weaved. Both kids and cats like to play with them. These would look lovely hanging in a bright room with plants or as a mobile in a nursery.

No comments: