Monday, March 31, 2008

Handbags










These crochet handbags started out as a New Year's present for Sonia and holiday gifts for Fedia's teachers. It was such a soothing pleasant project, I just kept going. Some are made with Peruvian wool, others with Icelandic tweed - in both cases rather thick durable yarn and crochet gives it a tight weave so the bags hold the form very well. Handles are round metal and there are ceramic buttons and knitted accents in most bags. They are functional and durable. Very festive, but perfect for everyday use as well.
I made about twenty five of these, all different colors and sizes.
Maybe eight of them sold at the fair and after. The rest are now in
New York at the Gramercy Park flower shop. Somehow blue was
the most popular color. There were some little girl over the shoulder purses on little chains that were very cute. I am working
on some more - I've been going through a bit of a separation anxiety since they have been in New York. As much as I hope that they do well, I cannot wait to get them back. There is something about wrapping them in tissue paper and putting them in a bag, giving it over to someone real that has a comfort of a goodbye. My retail past holds on to me too - I liked having control over who was going to walk away with what. But no matter, I visit them every time I am in the city.

No comments: